|Coty Vanilla Musk Cologne Spray 1oz|
However, musk is very controversial. I recall giving my Grandmother a sniff of one of my musk scents after which she said phew and turned her face away as fast as she could. She absolutely hated musk notes of any type. Many people do.
Over the years, I have tried scents where the musk is blended with other notes such as amber, sandalwood or patchouli. Fabulous. Foolishly, this vanilla hating lady let curiosity get the best of her and she decided to try a vanilla-based musk. If it's from Coty, it couldn't be that bad, could it?
The Vanilla Musk Bottle
My 1 oz. cologne spray bottle has a copper-colored cap. The bottle is mostly an oval shape, but the back portion has a deep concave indentation. I think this is what makes it act so unstable as it tips over very easily. On a positive note, it is very narrow side-to-side for easy tucking into a purse or cosmetic bag.
Basically, A Simple Oriental Fragrance
According to online descriptions, this scent is classified as an Oriental with four distinctive notes: Vanilla, Musk, Sandalwood & Cedar. That's it. I was surprised about the Cedar note.
Coty Vanilla Musk In Real Time-Here We Go
- Sniffing The Nozzle- On first sniff, I get the unpleasant aroma of sweet burnt rubber baby doll. It's so bad, I don't even want to spray it on myself, but I will.
- The First Spray-Lots of alcohol, then something that smells like wet tree bark begins to emerge. Maybe that is the Cedar note.
- After 15 Minutes-Something syrupy and sickly sweet is taking place. The burnt rubber smell is really developing now. Somebody dabbed vanilla behind Barbie's ears, then tossed her into the fireplace.
- After 30 Minutes-I am dying here! Gagging on the scent of vanilla-dipped moth balls. The artificial chemical smell is pure torture. I should report this to Hazmat, pronto.
- Complete Dry Down-No musk, no sandalwood here. No soft comforting "skin" scent has emerged. The artificial sweet burnt rubber smells lingers on and on. I must wash this off. Now.
For an oriental scent, it has neither mystery, allure, sex appeal or quality. It's not pretty or girly. I can't believe how many women give this perfume a thumbs up on review sites and places like Amazon.
If you are looking for musk, this is not the one. As much as I go for unusual perfumes, Coty Vanilla Musk is too weird, even for me. It gets the Skunk Award for being one of the stinkiest fragrances I ever tried.